My dad recently told me about an article that he read that cited the number one predictor in raising kids who would be financially successful....drumroll please....chores!! Yay! I'm sure there are other studies out there highlighting the downside of chores for children, but I am going to look no, see no, hear no evil from those. One day one study says avocados are a superfood; the next day the next study says they're killing us off quickly...whatever! I'm sticking with any science that advocates for chores because at our house, they're the thang.
In addition to daily jobs, this summer the boys are working to earn $50 to play football. Thanks to Papa and Abba, this can be achieved in 5 hours of manual yard labor! Kudos to my kids and their cousins for diving in with strong muscles and great attitudes. Even when they get hot and tired, they stick with doing their best and getting the job finished right. I was especially impressed that Elsie, Jessa and Will elected to work together to finished watering and "feeding" all of the coniferous trees along Ridgehill Drive in the few minutes they had at the end of their work day, even though they were hot and tired. Jonah and Dane worked for a long long time in the heat without even taking a break.
At times, it is difficult for me to be consistent, and for the kids to be motivated, but through the ups and downs, I am thankful to say that these kids are learning the joy of hard work and its many payoffs.





No comments:
Post a Comment