Monday, April 21, 2014

Although I love pushing my physical limits, running races is about so much more than personal athleticism. The half marathon that Janalynne, Amy, Brittney and Nikki ran with me Saturday was inspiring on so many levels. I love looking ahead to streets packed with thousands of runners, hearing the rhythmic pounding of shoes all around me (I even turned off my headphones to take it in), and most of all, being reminded of the strength of the human soul by watching others struggle through challenges that I don't know how I would face, to cross the same finish line that I did without those limitations. They are the strong ones - the overweight, the kids, the scoliotic who have to walk because they can't run anymore, the strong elderly showing so much fortitude in taking on a challenge like this. I was totally inspired - not by the strongest bodies or the fastest times, but by the many true athletes and heroes I got to run with who were not letting personal physical challenges stop them from accomplishing what is even difficult for the very healthy. In the race of spirit, these people take the medals all day long in my book.

No comments:

Music We Love